Monday, April 18, 2016

"Making & Mindfulness"

Over the past year, I've been working on my Senior Thesis project.  I made a series of sculptures and drawings revolved around the idea that doing process-oriented, time consuming tasks helps stimulate mindfulness, which eventually leads to recovery from traumatic experiences.  That sentence nutshells my research quite a bit, but hopefully seeing the photos of my work and my artist statement will help fill in some gaps.  Enjoy!



Build[ing] Up, 2016, plastic sheeting, latex paint, joint compound, paraffin wax, white and yellow beeswax

















cut, tie, wrap, pull, repeat (Perspective), 2016, white fabric, wood chair





(Left) Constructive Action, 2016, plaster, chicken wire, wood, PVC pipe, lace, plastic tarp
(Right) Constructive Action (Afterthought), 2016, plaster, wire mesh, wood, plastic tarp, unraveled rope



 
(here are some detail shots)


Continuity/Disruption in White, 2016, white muslin and similar found fabric


Continuity/Disruption in Cream, 2016, cream-colored muslin











Line Variations (with tools), 2016, charcoal power, polycrylic, wood tools







This past year was a tough one, and the added stress of this project didn't make it any easier, but I am so happy to have followed it through.  I am incredibly proud of this show, and all of the work featured in it.  It's experiences like these that push me to continue making art. 


***UPDATE: My sister at KGD films, made this amazing video of my exhibition opening (she also took some of these beautiful photos you see above).  Take a look and please visit her website and like her on Facebook!***

To watch the video click here

No comments:

Post a Comment