Monday, October 19, 2015

"This Is Not About You"

"This Is Not About You", was a half-year long project, that I completed last Spring.  With this project, I explored issues of body ownership, relying heavily on the portrayal of female bodies within the media and in cases of sexual violence.  In order to do this project, I needed women to volunteer to have their breasts cast.  I took the initial mold using Alginate, and then made a mother mold using plaster gauze.  During this process, I had an open conversation about the volunteer's relationship to their bodies, and/or any incidents that made them feel as though they lost ownership over their bodies, etc.  I recorded and then transcribed these conversations, in order to create a booklet of anonymous quotes to accompany the sculptures.  After the mold was made, I filled the Alginate and plaster gauze mold with plaster.  From there, I would reshape the form of the mold, making it reminiscent of ancient Greek or Roman sculpture.  It is a hard project to explain in a short paragraph, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.  Also, I must apologize for the photographs.  The person that took them did not capture the work from multiple angles or do close-ups on individual pieces.  Hopefully, better photos to come soon!









These are direct quotations from my conversations with the volunteers.  Some are very intense, and could act as a trigger for anyone who has been sexually assaulted.

 



This project was really special to me.  The women I worked with are incredibly brave for trusting me with their bodies and their stories.  I can only hope that this project makes us remember that our bodies belong to us, and only us.







No comments:

Post a Comment